Focus on an author – Anthony Browne
10 Things you didn’t know about Anthony Browne
- When he was a boy he wanted to be a journalist, a cartoonist, or a boxer.
- He was once asked to present a programme on children’s books, in a cage with some gorillas – but one gorilla bit him badly on the leg. It didn’t put him off them, but, he says “you wouldn’t catch me going into a cage with one again!”
- He grew up in a pub and when he was little, would go into the bar, stand on a table and tell stories about a character he’d made up called Big Dumb Tackle.
- He wore short trousers until he was fifteen.
- He thinks the character, Willy, is based on his own childhood.
- When he was a boy, he wanted a real trumpet for his birthday, but he got a toy plastic one instead. He says his book, Gorilla, was partly based on that experience.
- He loves rugby and played as a scrum-half for eighteen years.
- His book The Tunnel was inspired by a very frightening tunnel he and his brother used to go down when they were boys.
- When he was a medical artist, he would often eat his lunch in the mortuary.
- He says he has never found the perfect pair of swimming shorts!
To find out more go to http://www.anthonybrownebooks.com/